Bed sores also known as pressure sores are formed on the skin when a lot of continuous pressure is applied to a specific part of the body. These may be caused by staying in one position for a very long time for instance, it is common in old age because older people don’t move a lot. These also may be caused because of the hospital medical machines or devices because they too put a lot of pressure on the skin. Another cause of pressure ulcer includes a lot of moisture which may be developed because of urine or sweat etc. One needs to be very careful with a patient who has pressure sores because these can be worse. Some people make use of comforters made with medical sheepskin which helps to not only absorb the moisture but also keep the patient warm.
Following are some of the ways that are used by healthcare professionals in order to treat the bedsores or pressure sores at hospitals:
- Try not to sit in one position for a long time. Change your position after every hour or two prevent them
- For people who make use of wheelchairs, they too need to try and get up from the chair or transfer the weight to each side equally
- For people who are bed ridden, they are usually moved from one place to another using sheets which is considered to be one of the major causes of pressure sores as well. Applying cornstarch on the sheets can help reduce the friction and help prevent the pressure sores
- When cleaning or taking a bath, keep proper care of your areas which are more likely to develop pressure sores such as your hips and elbows etc.
- Make sure your diet includes a lot of fluids mainly water
- Your diet should also include fruits as well
- You need to get a chair cushion for yourself as well as they help to lessen the pressure being applied to your skin and specific body parts.
While these methods prove to be amazing when it comes to treating pressure sores following are some of the home remedies you can use to prevent and treat these pressure sores:
- Aloe vera
- Saline water
- Coconut oil
- Comfrey leaves
- Vitamin C
- Olive oil
- Petroleum jelly
For all those who do not know about the therapeutic properties of honey, you should know that honey naturally has antiseptic properties that help to soothe the skin. It can be very good to treat the mild bed sores. Honey helps to provide relief from:
- Promotes healing
Turmeric helps to accelerate the process of healing when it comes to treating the bed sores. It is known best for its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic and antioxidant properties. These help to fight the infections and also treat bed sores.
Aloe vera has a number of advantages that are known to almost everyone. Aloe vera is known to provide a soothing feeling to your skin. Thus aloe vera is considered to be the best for treating bed sores and is very effective as well. It also keeps the skin moisturized and ensures recovery.
One of the best ways to ensure that bed sores are treated and to keep that particular area clean make use of saline water. Bed sores often get worse when they are not taken care of and not cleaned properly. This may lead to inflammation and more infections. Saline water helps to reduce the fluid on the body and removes all the dead skin as well.
Coconut oil is another most amazing home remedy that you can use to prevent and treat pressure sores. These keep your skin healthy and when you massage your skin with coconut oil it aids your blood circulation.
Comfrey leaves are rich in medicinal properties. These help to reduce the inflammation. Apply these leaves to your skin and cover with bandages for amazing results.
Applying cornstarch to the sheets can help reduce friction. These can prevent from pressure sores.
Vitamin C is also known for its antioxidants properties. Your diet should include high and rich sources of vitamin C or you may consume vitamin C supplements.
Olive oil is best for massaging into skin. It not only helps to moisturize your skin but also helps to provide relief from the inflammation. Apply olive oil to your skin for 30 to 60 minutes before you wash or clean your skin.
Petroleum jelly works best to keep your skin clean to prevent the formation of pressure sores. First your need to clean your sores with saline water. Then dry that area with a mild towel and apply petroleum jelly to the sore and cover with a bandage or a cloth. This helps to heal your skin.